The Moose & Squirrel Medical Clinic is a modern, state-of-the-art family medicine clinic that opened in Sundre, Alberta in 2013.
- To provide world-class, accessible, comprehensive medical care to our patients in a collaborative, team-based environment
- To model healthy behavior by respecting and promoting physical and mental health, balance and fulfillment for all team members
- To be the pre-eminent site in rural Alberta for family medicine teaching and the mentorship of early career physicians
Our physicians are recognized leaders and experts in the field of family medicine. Every patient in the MSMC is assigned a primary family physician and an experienced nurse who share responsibility for managing and coordinating their medical care. The entire team may also be involved in each patient’s care as needed.
We are proud of our collaboration with other health experts and of some of the new services we have brought to Sundre and area as a result. Our strategic alliances include:
- University of Calgary and University of Alberta, Faculties of Medicine
- Our physicians all have academic appointments with both Universities and are highly involved in clinical teaching of medical students and family medicine residents
- FitMetabolism Inc.
- FitMetabolism Inc. is a Calgary-based company that has developed an award-winning program for effective, sustainable weight loss. We have worked with FM to develop a medically-supervised weight loss program delivered through our clinic in Sundre and are proud to have been the first clinic in rural Alberta to bring the FM program to our patients. Our collaborative work was recognized at the 2015 Canadian Obesity Summit in Toronto and a research abstract relating to our program was published in the Canadian Journal of Diabetes.
- Dr. Jack Cruikshank, General Internal Medicine
- Dr. Cruikshank is a general internal medicine specialist based out of Calgary. Dr. Cruikshank comes to the MSMC once every month as a consultant to see our patients who have complex health conditions or several chronic medical conditions. Our collaboration with Dr. Cruikshank is a prototype for innovative chronic disease management involving family doctors and specialists in rural communities, and we are working together to build a model that can be expanded to deliver world-class, comprehensive chronic disease care to patients and clinics across rural Alberta.
- Peaks to Prairies Primary Care Network
- The physicians at the MSMC are members of the Peaks to Prairies Primary Care Network. By virtue of being members of the PCN, our patients have access to:
- Tammy Surbey, a Nurse Practitioner who aids in the care of our patients with complex, chronic health conditions;
- Irma Van Den Hadelkamp, a Registered Nurse who provides support and teaching for patients in our maternity clinic and the Sundre Teen and Young Adult Clinic;
- Greg Stopanski, an Exercise Specialist who can help our patients develop personalized exercise programs and learn more about the many health benefits of physical activity; and
- Tracy Silberer, a Registered Social Worker with an extensive background in the Social Work field - most recently with Olds Healthy Families - who provides social work support and system navigation for our patients.
- Caroline Community Health and Wellness Centre
- With the support of the Caroline Chamber of Commerce, we provide medical services at the Caroline Community HUB building every Wednesday
- Respiratory Homecare Solutions
- Respiratory Homecare Solutions provides pulmonary function testing at the MSMC every month to help assess and treat our patients with lung conditions such as asthma and COPD.
We are also proud members of our community and value the strong relationships we have with the Town of Sundre, Mountain View County, the Sundre Chamber of Commerce, the Caroline Chamber of Commerce, the Sundre Health Professionals Attraction and Retention Committee, the Sundre Municipal Library, the Sundre Hospital and Care Centre, Greenwood Neighbourhood Place, Sundre Parent Link, River Valley School and Mountain View Seniors’ Housing.