Patient’s Medical Home
At Moose & Squirrel Medical Clinic our mission is to provide outstanding care in a patient centred health home. We are one of 5 clinics in Alberta, and only the 2nd in rural Alberta to use a unique funding model, called Blended Capitation, to deliver care.
It is a service model that ensures coordinated care provided by a team of co-located health professionals aimed at improving quality of life and health outcomes for patients. This unique model of care encourages a team based approach to the wellbeing of our patients, a model we have worked under since opening in 2013. Now, the funding model has caught up to how we provide care in your medical home.
This unique model of funding will allows us to provide care for our patients in Sundre, Caroline and area – and help ensure all those in our community can have a family physician.
Instead of billing for each in office patient visit (called fee for service), which is what most physicians in Alberta do, we enroll a patient to our practice and Alberta Health provides us with an annual amount to provide care for each patient. The annual amount is calculated based on age, gender and the average fee for service billings for a patient in Alberta of the same age and gender.
- Formal Enrollment process which establishes the relationship between patient and provider (affiliation)
- Appointments available for patients in person or by phone.
- Access to a large team of co-located professionals including: Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Social Work, Mental Health, Exercise Specialist, Women and Infant Health Care, and Respiratory Care.
- Proactive care – planning in advance of appointments to ensure your lab, x-ray and diagnostic results are available when you arrive.
- We ensure that care is customized to each patient – that includes the way we provide care (in office vs. out of office), timing of care and the health professional best suited to your needs.
Evidence-based medicine continually supports the value of seeing ONE family physician for care. Having a good relationship with a family physician and being strongly “attached” to that physician benefits your health in a number of ways. Being strongly “attached” means seeing your physician whenever it is possible. This results in:
- Increased patient satisfaction
- Increased health care screening
- Increased efficiency of diagnosis
- Improved outcomes of chronic disease
- Decreased emergency room visits
- Decreased hospital admissions
- Decreased diagnostic tests rate
- Decreased prescription rate
Today’s health care system is coping with an aging population and a resulting explosion in chronic disease. Policy makers are moving to “attach” every patient in Alberta to a health care “home,” in order to improve the quality of care for all Albertans and save health care system costs. The time and money saved may then be reinvested into further improving health care system delivery for all patients.
Thank you for helping us connect you to your own physician whenever possible. This allows us to provide the best possible care to you as a patient.
Your own physician will work hard to accommodate for you same day appointments if needed. If your physician is away, seeing another physician at this clinic becomes the best option, and we will work hard to meet your needs. After hours please feel free to contact the on-call physician at 403-638-MSMC (6762).
There will always be times when you need to see someone other than your physician. Even doctors take holidays, and sometimes needs creep up on us. Try to plan ahead for refills, driver’s medicals and chronic care visits. Being proactive with your care will produce the best results. We will endeavour to have other physicians and skilled health practitioners available to see you for health care concerns if your physician is away.
Urgent results will always be discussed with you right away. If we ask you to wait to see your physician, it’s because we think that will provide the best care.
Contact one of our doctors outside office hours for questions or advice. We can make arrangements to see our patients outside regular clinic hours for urgent concerns and minor emergencies. Call us and see if we can help you avoid a trip to the ER.
Monday – Friday
8:30 AM – 11:45 AM
1:15 PM – 4:30 PM
Monday & Thursday Evenings
Monday and Thursday Evenings
5:30 PM – 8:30 PM
12:00 PM – 3:00 PM